Monday, January 18, 2016

Anchored Inside Today

The lake is finally showing from freeze. Amazing how in such a short period of time the climate and water can change so drastically. On Thursday I was out in the water on the yak fishing for steelhead. The SW wind was only 19 MPS, but it was reeking havoc. With a sandy bottom my anchoring system was as if I had nothing at all on the end of the dog leash. Yeah, dog leash, better than rolling up all that rope every time. And 16 feet is a decent length for the depths I was in.
I have invested in a new heavier anchor, which will arrive on Monday. Today I built a trolly system on the kayak. I fish a lot in dangerous areas and having the anchor deployed straight over the side at the midsection is a recipe for disaster. So I picked up some military grade 550 nylon paracord, two small pullies, a circle ring, and a patented aluminum rope tightening carabiner and using factory installed loop attachments I put it all together. Wanted to refrain from drilling anymore holes in my rig.



Obviously I did not get to test it out on the water. It was 6 degrees this morning. Managed to snap a few pics with my yellow underwater Fuji camera. 

The boat launch on Thursday. Unfortunately I was iced in and did not bring a dolly. Had to carry the kayak and gear down the ice covered pier to the beach below.
This was the launch today.






No comments:

Post a Comment