Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Mastering the Bait Caster

During my last outing my old Shimano Symetre reel finally let me know that it was time to retire. I lost 4 fish and had to beach the yak twice to re-rig my line. Had to break down and buy a newer, more beefy reel. I stuck with the Symetre line since it was tried, trusted, and true. But I have noticed, using the newly added fish finder that an opened faced reel forced me to cast instead of just dropping onto a target. So I decided to go a route I never thought I would (this is all a learning experience and a major reason for starting this blog) and I find myself ready to test a bait caster. I picked up a Pflueger Purist model, but I lack a bait casting rod, since my generous nature I find myself giving away many things where I find people in a need, and also, partially to eliminate 'stuff'. As I returned my iffy anchor purchase to Gander Mountain my attention locked onto a rack of 'cheap' graphite rods ($20) that I will eventually succumb to buying for this particular reel. But having a 20 in my pocket I chose to get a good six pack to warm myself from the inside out on this brisk January evening.
Detachable rod holder I built for canoe side. (clamp $.97) Designed it to lock into place so a big hit won't yank the rod into the depths. PVC pipe painted black.

new reel setup
the last and final bird nest of the 2500 RI (discontinued model)
the new Pflueger Purist bait cast reel

No comments:

Post a Comment