Saturday, January 23, 2016

Daydreaming

Daydreaming of warmer days and traversing the Vermillion during the springtime thaw, when the water level is actually high enough for kayaking with the Olde Town, Sea Otter. A good run is from Otto Schoefle's http://metroparks.cc/schoepfle_garden.php 'Schoefle's Garden (I still call it Otto's because he was still alive at the one of three times I worked there) to Mill Hollow. Takes about 4 hours give or take (I like to pull off and take my time, so it is more like five +). I don't use an apron, a cover to block the water from splashing into the yak, so water proof clothing is a suggestion. During the summer months the water level is just too low for any real trekking, but after a good rain it is do-able. Just be wary of overhanging trees. I had to go under a few, and a small, unavoidable waterfall. This route will allow the viewing of very beautiful and isolated treasures along the river; amazing shale cliffs, ancient sycamores, bald eagles, wild turkey, and playful mink. The largest bald eagle nest on record was found on the Vermillion River and is displayed at Carlisle Reservation in Oberlin http://metroparks.cc/carlisle_reservation.php. I have had my work displayed in their gallery from time to time.





No comments:

Post a Comment