Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Lectra Heated Sock Test

Thought I would give these battery heated socks a go and see if they really put out enough heat, sufficient enough for January lake kayak fishing. But finding rechargeable D size batteries in any of the surrounding stores around here is impossible for some reason. I had a set of 4 a few years ago using them in my Wildview motion wildlife camera, but someone needed it more than I did and literally cut off the locking mechanism. All I was left with was a padlock wrapped around a tree. The rechargeable batteries I had in the camera were the most valuable to me. Each battery when broken down is nearly $6 each. Eventually, I suppose I will get online and order some more, but I saw at Wal-monster a cheap twin pack for $.97. And since I planned on fishing the following day (weather permitting) just bought the batteries if only for a test. I wore 3 layers; heated socks, a Pro Line creek wader I use as a wetsuit, and a pair of old worn out Timberland Goretex boots with the cushion sole removed. I didn't feel any definite 'heat' but my feet were cozy for about two hours. Maybe that was the usual lifespan of the cheap batteries? I don't know. So I guess this test might prove inconclusive of the Lectra battery heated socks. Or it could be nothing but a lemon in my book, since in my case, wearing the 'wet suit' makes it impossible for me to reach down inside next to my my leg, my calf, and change out the battery when drained. The waders are practically skin tight and getting out of them can be hell. But I will give Nordic Gear some credit when choosing the positioning of the heating core itself. The socks are comfortable and after a few minutes of walking around you forget the padded wire. This particular pair cost about $30 at Gander Mountain. Test to be continued.....

Living 3 1/2 blocks from lakeside it is a short jaunt to do a daily check of lake conditions. And these conditions could not be more perfect. 





No comments:

Post a Comment