Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Fishing Story # 4

It was a blazing hot day at the Avon Lake beach. Had seen a large common carp lingering around the boat launch so I got out some sweet corn. 'Whatcha catching?' I asked passing two kids fishing the small creek that feeds into the lake by the launch. They were hooking creek chub with hot dogs. 'Cool,' I said telling them if they dry out the dogs they will stick to the hook better. 'I'm going to go over here and catch a carp.' I had one in a matter of minutes. Once again another carp was following underneath the one I was towing in with the 8 lbs line. I had the ultralight rod and it was bending so much I wondered if it would snap! The kids came running over. A guy was getting ready to launch his boat so I didn't have proper time to wear the carp down. It kept going under the rusted metal girder trying to fray and break the line. The guy went to get his net, but as I brought the carp to him he pulled the net away saying no, had to be tail first. What? That's not how I do it, and that is not how the carp wanted it either and with one last burst of muscled energy it pulled and snapped the tormented line. I shrugged it off. The real fishing would be later that night with Paul.
As soon as the sun had set Paul started nailing em. He landed a Fish Ohio channel catfish, but that was not the prize of the evening. Using a walleye lure he pulled in a 14 1/4 inch giant goldfish! I had heard rumors long ago about giant Lake Erie goldfish, but thought they must be koi fish. But no, there really is a population of giant goldfish existing in the lake! A call to ODNR confirmed it and they said just let it go back into the lake. So it was set free.



No comments:

Post a Comment