Monday, July 4, 2016

Do Carp Mate For Life?

Fished the Black River a few days ago because I keep hearing how fishing sucks right now. In less than 45 minutes I caught a 15 inch smallmouth, a 21 inch common carp, and another fat 23 inch 5.75 lbs common carp on sweet corn. (did not catch the bass on corn) The hook i use is a #12 treble, which is about the size of my pinky nail. Carp love sweet corn, but fishing with corn in a river can be tricky. And you have to be stealth with carp, the smartest fish in my opinion. After i crept down a tight, steep embankment to catch the fatty, I barely had a patch of land to stand upon. He put up a great fight and felt even bigger on my ultralight lined with weak 8 lbs. flourocarbon. As he was giving in, surrendering, I noticed something underneath, swimming under his shadow following every move until the final end. I don't know if fish maintain a mate-to-mate relation, I'm not sure, but it sparked a flame of sadness in me that burned hotter than the summer sun above. I took the hook out, took the photograph and measurements and let him gently back into the water. 


With this sadness I called it quits. What if my intentions were different? What if i was actually the angel of death? Back atop the embankment I looked back down. The two were again swimming side-by-side, just as I had spotted earlier and then took aim. Then I drove away in silence.... and shot the sunset.


No comments:

Post a Comment